The roles and functions of Community Radio
According to the UNESCO Handbook for Community Radio, the roles and functions can be summarised in the following ten points:
- Facilitate open dialogue and democratisation.
- Promote development and social change.
- Create a diversity of voices and opinions on air.
- Reflect and promote local identity and culture.
- Provide a diversity of programmes and content.
- Promote civil society.
- Promote good governance.
- Encourage participation, information sharing and innovation.
- Give a voice to the voiceless.
- Contribute to peace building and reconstruction